two years ago today i came home from south america.
i had done a semester in chile.
i had fallen in love a couple of times, with people and places.
i had re-connected with good friends.
i had forged amazing new friendships.
i had gained a whole new confidence with my spanish.
i had the most amazing housemates - strong women - i adored them. i still do.
i rocked the chilean slang. cachai, po?
towards the end of the semester, i had found out that my dad was sick. so i thought to myself 'hey, why don't i just grab a sneaky flight home and surprise him? i can just come home for a couple of months, see how he's going, see if i can boost his spirits a bit, then head back to latin america.'
so i did just that.
i've been thinking about those intense couple of months that i spent in sydney in-between adventures in south america. it was so good to be home for a while. to see familiar faces. to feel at home, settled.
i knew i didn't have much time at home, so i packed in everything and anything i possibly could. i said 'yes' a lot. i just did.
doing was my gerund of choice.
lately i've been realising just how lucky i am to have so much time to explore my amazing home town. how lucky and great and joyful it is to say yes. to put on a good outfit, to walk out the door and explore.
two years ago today i came home for just a couple of months. here is what i did (according to my diary scribbles...):
- made pisco sours with lucy and imi to celebrate the chilean national holiday
- had dinner with mads, chris and bec. beautiful people.
- latin american film fest with lucy and imi and lucy h + vivaz x 2!
- finally had that garage sale i'd been talking about having. made a modest $35. oh well.
- witnessed an amazing dust storm.
- rock climbing with grant
- carriageworks - markets! rethreads! screening of the power of community
- recorded an EP. Happy Music Radio Hour finally came together. two years later, well, i guess we're still in the planning stage.
- attempted a bit of gardening with jess
- drove to Bellingen with imi.
- Bellingen Music Festival! sunny! rainy! skinny-dipping!
- mexican feast for jess' birthday
- adventure to fairfield for chilean food with lucy and imi
- coogee to bondi walk with lucy. lovely day of talking and walking
- farewell drinks at the courthouse with lovely friends. KB!
- last night at new orleans with sonj, kimmy and laz. delight.
- spent amazing hours talking with my dad.
all in just a couple of months.
i didn't say no.
maybe these next two months can be a bit like that...